Wednesday 6 June 2012

Jhargram and Siliguri shine in HS

4 June 2012
biswabrata goswami
MIDNAPORE, 4 JUNE: At a time when Junglemahal has become synonymous with Maoist violence, a girl from Jhargram has come first among girls in Higher Secondary examination. Susmita Haldar, who has scored 476 out of 500, however, has secured fourth rank in the merit list.
Recounting the horror days of Maoist violence, Susmita, a resident of Bachurdoba in Jhargram, has, however, given full marks to chief minister Mamata Banerjee who tried hard to bring about peace in Junglemahal for which many students were able to attend schools without fear for the past one year.
“Two years ago, when I sat for Madhyamik examination, I was severely disturbed by repeated bandhs and Maoist violence. But, this time, I was able to study peacefully. For this reason, I have scored such marks; I never expected such a high score, though”, Susmita said.
Her parents, however, pinned high hopes on her as did her teachers. A student of Ramakrishna Saradapith High School in Jhargram, Susmita now wants to pursue law. “My grandfather, Phanindra Nath Haldar, was a famous lawyer in Jhargram and I want to build my career in judicial service,” she said.
Everyone, especially my tuition teachers and schoolteachers, helped me. I expected around 450 marks, but I have scored 476.
Susmita's father, Narayan Haldar, who is now posted in Purulia district hospital as a pathologist, is elated over his daughter's results. Her mother, Anupama, a housewife, has always guided her daughter, she says.
A bookworm, Susmita loves to dance, especially Manipuri, watches movies and also listens to music. “Studying after a point gets boring. My hobbies kept me going. I love to play as well as watch cricket,” she says.

5th in HS, JEE, Bishal wants to become a doctor

Bishal Kundu, who ranked fifth in Joint Entrance Examination in medical this year, was taken aback when he came to know that he also ranked fifth in Higher Secondary examination today.
Bishal, a student of Gangarampur High School in South Dinajpur, obtained 472 marks in the aggregate.
“I concentrated more for JEE than HS. I ranked fifth in medical of the JEE. I did not expect such high marks in HS. In Madhyamik I had ranked 10th in the state. Though it was unexpected for me, I am really happy,” Bishal said over the phone from his school premises.
Bishal’s mother is a health worker and his father is a high school teacher in Gangarampur and teaches biology.
Bishal said: “My mother is my inspiration. She convinced me to choose medical and encouraged me for JEE. I am grateful to her. I want to study in Calcutta Medical College.”
He secured 80 in Bengali, 95 in English, 98 in Mathematics, 98 in Chemistry and 99 in Physics. He scored 100 in Biology, which was his additional subject.
Bishal said he had seven private tutors while preparing for HS and JEE.
He said private tutors are necessary and they deserve credit when a student secures good marks.
Bishal, who wants to be a doctor to serve the people in rural Bengal, said: “I like to play and read. I also sing Rabindra Sangeet from my childhood. I love Tagore’s songs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment